Friday, November 20, 2015

Building A New Mic!



 
I've been looking for a new project, and decided to build myself a new harp mic. Don't really need one, but I wanted to build something new, so it was time. I found this one on Ebay and paid a good price for it. Looked pretty ugly when I pulled it out of the box, but it did have an element inside.
 
I was not sure if the element would work, but I was pleasantly surprised when I found that it did. Not only did it work, it sings! It has a great tone with my amp. Similar to the vintage crystal Astatic element in the Purple mic I built a few years ago. The element in this one is a Calrad C-3. Japanese made and has a good gasket with it.
 
For this one, I plan to clean it up, install a volume control, lay some cool paint and then do automotive clear on it. Unfortunately, the clear I laid on the Purple mic was just too delicate. I may also lay some Auto clear on that mic at the same time.
 
Here are the before pics. 








No comments:

Post a Comment