Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Happy Birthday To Me!

I'm lucky I have a very understanding wife. She also happens to be a guitarist!
So for my upcoming birthday this year (couple weeks from now), She 'bought' me a new amp.

I've had a Crate 2x10 monster of an amp since the early 90's. Fun amp. Big sound, has chorus and reverb built in. Unfortunately, to get the tone I like when playing the blues, I have to turn the gain up a pretty good bit while leaving the volume bottomed out. Even with that, its loud enough to vibrate the glass in the house - no fun for those not playing the mandolin/guitar!

I started looking for something that I could play my new e-mando on. I wanted something that I could get good sound out of while not turning up insanely loud. I was also interested to try something with a number of effects built in. Final detail was I want something I can carry around easily (vs my 80lbs Crate) and something that could be battery powered.

I looked at the Line6 Spider, Fender Mustang and a few others, but none really knocked me over.

In the end, I selected a Vox DA5 practice amp. More features than I'll use, but most importantly, good tone. Many effects, most of which can be mixed in some fashion, along with 11 tone setups. Inputs for things like my Ipod for jamming along, or a Mic. The amp is battery powered or I can plug it in. Finally, it has an output setting on the rear - .5amp 1.5amp or 5amps. Each setting gives a different power level, while reducing the output volume!



I'm still figuring out exactly how I like it, but so far it is a sharp little package! Even has a bit of 'Brit' to it.

Oh yeah, it was an Ebay purchase used, so I paid approx 30% of new, and it looks absolutely brand new.

No comments:

Post a Comment