Sunday, December 6, 2015

Cobra Daytona Harp Mic?

A little more progress on this one. I was wanting to do something to this one to give it some character. I thought about ghosting some flames or some 'notes' on the sides, but I decided that my masking skills at that small of a size were just not going to get that job done. I continued to look for inspiration and then I was reading some bedtime 'Vintage Motorsports' magazine articles and saw a picture of the Shelby Daytona Couple. Never has there been a more beautiful race car, and conveniently that car happened to be basically the same blue as the blue I used on the microphone.....

So that meant some white racing stripes. Just like the sportscar racers representing the US in the 60's   What is more cool than that!!!!

I used 3M fine line masking tape to mask off the stripes. Getting parallel stripes on such a convex curved surface is quite a feat.

I did test all of this (as well as a couple of different candies over the blue that did not work) on a sheet metal box to make sure that the masking and paint would all work well together. It was a good idea as it helped me get it right.

Here are the results.


 
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment