Saturday, December 5, 2015

More On the Vintage Mic!

Made a lot more progress on the mic. After getting all of the electrical work and the details worked out, I tore it back down and bagged all the parts.

With the parts all bagged, I removed the badge on the front and got the shell ready to strip down.

Stripping down the shell was easy with some wet/dry 220 and some Dawn soap in the hot water. Very easy to get all of the paint of and back down to bare metal. I then did some shaping of the casting with some emery paper.
Next up, it was time to get this shell mounted on a stick and get some primer on it. I took my time laying the primer and laid several light coats, with baking over the heater between each coat.
 

I let the primer cure for several days over the heater and then wet sanded it with 400 wet/dry and laid 2 more coats before allowing 2 more days of curing. Then it was time to move on to color.
 
Initially, I was planning to paint it with some House of Color 'Black Diamond', but unfortunately the black diamond was really a top coat for some other color, not a base. As a result, I went back to my original plan of painting it with a nice metallic blue.
 
I shot about 5 coats of the blue, starting with some light coats and eventually moving to one final wet coat. The result was something pretty nice. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it.
 
Next up, I'm planning to see if I can ghost on some music notes or something similar in a pearl or other nice effect.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment